Environmental Protection Bureau
An introduction to the functions of Environmental Protection Bureau:
Xuhui District Environmental Protection Bureau has been established in accordance with the stipulations under the “Notice of Shanghai Municipal Committee of the Communist Party of China and Shanghai Municipal People’s Government with Regard to Institutional Reform in Xuhui District”, and is an operational government department that takes charge of environmental protection work in the entire district.
Office premises: No.21 Zhong-Cao Road
Tel: (+86 21) 6487-9900 (operator);
Fax: (+86 21) 6464-1396
Postal Code: 200030
1. To follow out those guidelines, policies, laws, rules & regulations with regard to environmental protection work set down by the State, formulate Xuhui District’s opinion and method for implementation of these regulations; follow out Xuhui District’s economic, technological, and resources-deployment-related, and industrial policies regarding environmental protection, and supervise the implementation of such polices as well.
2. To be responsible for compiling Xuhui District’s Program and Plan for Environmental Protection, and arranging competent authorities to make statistics of internal environment and environmental information within Xuhui District; to participate in formulation of Xuhui District’s Medium and Long-term Program and Annual Plan for Social and Economic Developments, Plan for Development and Rectification of State-owned Land Resources, Plan for Economic Development, Industrial Development Program, and Program for Saving and Comprehensive Utilization of Resources; to take part in examining and approving Xuhui District’s Overall Program for City Layout, and contents in the Program for Environmental Protection Work in development zones and urban areas to be renovated.
3. To be responsible for following out those State standards and technical specifications regarding environmental protection, and supervising the implementation of such standards and technical specifications in a unified way.
4. To be responsible for prevention and control of the waste water/gas/solids, malodorous gas, radioactive substances, poisonous chemicals, and noises, vibration, electromagnetic radiation, tail gas of motor vehicles, and other pollutants and pollution sources within Xuhui District; to investigate and dispose of those significant pollution incidents and those accidents concerning damage on the ecological environment within Xuhui District; to undertake and handle those opinions and bills & proposals with regard to environmental protection of the National People’s Congress and the Political Consultative Conference at the corresponding level, and treat with those letters of complaint from the people and calls by the people to lodge complaints regarding environmental protection work.
5. To be responsible for managing the “protection of ecological environment” work in Xuhui District, controlling the safety of biotechnological environment and nuclear safety within Xuhui District, supervising and inspecting those resources development activities that have a bearing on the ecological environment.
6. To be responsible for handling and registering those applications for a Sewage Discharge Permit, collecting sewage discharge fees, assessing the influence upon the environment, and putting into force such environmental regulation systems as “3 doings at the same time” within the area under jurisdiction by Xuhui District Government; examining and approving those reports regarding the influence upon the peripheral environment exerted by those capital construction projects, technological renovation projects and regional development & construction projects in Xuhui District.
7. To be responsible for implementing Xuhui District’s System of Environmental Protection Objectives and Responsibilities, organizing and coordinating the quantitative assessment of achievements in comprehensive regulation of city environment.
8. To be responsible for organizing personnel to conducting scientific research work regarding environmental protection in this district; to formulate and organize personnel to implement Xuhui District’s Development Program for Environmental Protection; to organize applications for undertaking significant topics regarding environmental protection at State and local levels; and to participate in the quality supervision and authentication work regarding environmental protection equipment in Xuhui District.
9. To be responsible for managing the environment monitoring work in Xuhui District, supervising the implementation of Environment Monitoring System and Criteria, guiding and supervising the construction of environment monitoring network, measurement/authentication of environment monitoring stations plus quality assurance work.
10. To be responsible for organizing the dissemination of lores regarding environmental protection in Xuhui District, formulating a Plan for Dissemination of Environmental Protection Lores targeting the general public and youngsters in particular, and organizing assorted forms of educational and training activities regarding environmental protection work.
11. To be responsible for striking up a team of cadres and workers/staff for the Environmental Protection Bureau, and exposing in-service personnel to trainings, as well as providing guidance upon wages/salary of those organizations under the Environment Protection Bureau.
12. To be responsible for responding to administration litigations and handling those affairs with regard to reconsiderations.
13. To undertake and handle other matters that Xuhui District Government has assigned the Environmental Protection Bureau to treat with.
(2) Duties of each of the sections/offices:
1) Pollution Control Section:
(1) To bring forward requirements upon monitoring of macroscopical environment in Xuhui District, contextualize in a comprehensive way the quality conditions of the macroscopical environment in Xuhui District on fronts of atmosphere, body of water, and noises, etc., and compile an official report about the environmental conditions in Xuhui District on an annual basis.
(2) To contextualize in a comprehensive way the conditions of those pollution sources with regard to those pollutants discharged in the whole district, bring forward requirements on supervisory management conducted by on-site law enforcement departments, and make compositive analysis of environmental pollution factors and data in the whole district.
(3) Pursuant to the stipulations set by Shanghai Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau, to compile and organize personnel to implement the Plan for Control and Reduction of the Aggregate Quantity of Pollutants Discharged in Xuhui District.
(4) Pursuant to the stipulations set by Shanghai Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau, to organize personnel to handling and registering those applications for a Sewage Discharge Permit, summarizing data and rendering work reports.
(5) To follow out the “Sewage Discharge Permit” system, and be responsible for issuing the Sewage Discharge Permits in Xuhui District, and supervising the issuance of such permits.
(6) Pursuant to the stipulations set by Shanghai Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau, to be responsible for organizing personnel to making statistics for compilation of annual and semi-annual reports regarding environmental protection work in Xuhui District, and render such reports to higher authorities.
(7) To organize personnel to implement professional environmental protection work, specific- purpose environmental construction or renovation work, and be responsible for gathering up and summarizing data and rendering data to higher authorities.
(8) To coordinate with the organization and implementation of those projects regarding professional environmental protection work, specific-purpose environmental construction or renovation work that have not been initialized by the Bureau of Environmental Protection; and to be responsible for gathering up and summarizing data and rendering data to higher authorities.
2) Compositive Management Section:
(1) To be responsible for laying down Xuhui District’s near, medium and long-term programs and related action plans for environmental protection work.
(2) To participate in formulating Xuhui Districts Program for National Economy and Social Development.
(3) To organize personnel to formulate, implement and boost the environmental protection and construction work in the local region or in a comprehensive way.
(4) To organize personnel to implement and coordinate Xuhui District’s quantitative assessment of compositive rectification of environment quality, and environmental auditing work.
(5) To be responsible for handling jural affairs for the Environmental Protection Bureau, examining and approving the legitimacy of administrative punishments, conducting administrative enforcements of laws, treating with administrative reconsideration affairs arising in the Environmental Protection Bureau, and responding to administrative litigations.
(6) To be responsible for evaluating the implementation of Environmental Protection Law Enforcement Responsibility System by the Environmental Protection Bureau and the establishment of archives regarding individual persons’ law enforcement performance.
(7) To assign corresponding authorities to manage and implement those laws and regulations concerning environmental protection, and the professional educating and training programs offered to intramural and extramural personnel.
(8) To organize personnel to implement the ISO 9001 Quality Control System, and assess the operation of such a system in the Environmental Protection Bureau.
(9) To formulate a plan to disseminate, and educate the general public to obtain, environmental protection lores, and organize personnel to carry out activities for the purpose of spreading environmental protection lores.
(10) To be responsible for the operations of and management over computer-based information network and website of the Bureau of Environmental Protection regarding environmental protection, and formulation of a program for establishing an informatized system for handling environmental management work.
3) Supervision and Management Section:
(1) To be responsible for examining and approving those newly established projects regarding environmental protection within this district, and organizing personnel to implement the System for Evaluation of Influence on Environment Exerted by Construction Projects.
(2) Referring to the requirements upon Xuhui District’s Overall Program for Economic and Social Developments and its environmental protection objectives, to take part in decision- making process with regard to significant construction projects.
(3) To be responsible for final acceptance of completed construction projects.
(4) To be responsible for handing over and filing various kinds of documents regarding construction projects which have been finally accepted.
4) Administrative Office of the Environmental Protection Bureau:
(1) To organize and coordinate the routine affairs undertaken by different departments under the Environmental Protection Bureau, follow out various rules and regulations formulated by higher authorities and the Environmental Protection Bureau.
(2) To be responsible for handling secretarial & clerical and archiving affairs, information, correspondence, keeping secrets, and regulating social security in a comprehensive way, conducting administration supervision and financial management, etc.
(3) To be responsible for compiling work plans, summaries and related documents for the Environmental Protection Bureau, and supervising how those work objectives set by the Environmental Protection Bureau have been fulfilled.
(4) To be responsible for deploying and transferring those cadres with those organizations and public institutions directly under the Environmental Protection Bureau, determining their labor wages/salary, conferring them academic/technical titles through assessment, taking charge of institutional organization work, and handling other personnel management work.
(5) To be responsible for managing and evaluating the working performance of public servants with government units (inclusive of those cadres with public institutions who are governed in the capacity of public servants), and exposing incumbent cadres to on-the-job trainings and continued education programs.
(6) To be responsible for handling routine affairs with regard to construction of party organs and exposing cadres to ideological and political education.
(7) To be responsible for pursuing spiritual civilization.
(8) To be responsible for handling letters of complaint from the people and calls by the people to lodge complaints, and strictly adhering to related management method to conduct supervision and assessment.
(9) To be responsible for guaranteeing logistic services and managing fixed assets.
(10) To be responsible for making arrangements for assorted kinds of receptions and meetings.