Located on Fenyang Road, The Arts and Crafts Museum covers an area of 1,500 square meters. It is divided into Carving Room, Knitting and Brede Room, Civil Arts and Crafts Room. Nearly 300 works are displayed inside, from which we can see the development skeleton of Shanghai arts and crafts. When coming into the Carving room, we can see the head-on ivory carving of “A fierce war at Chibi” with its length of 2 meters. On its side is the Chinese Cabbage, a jade carving with the weight of 75 kilograms. Thereinto, there is a mushroom-style inkstone, which was the last work of Chen Duanyou, a great master of the first generation in the field of inkstone carving of Shanghai school. The most imposing woodcarving surely is the “Storm of May 30”. The composition of this whole work looks as if the onrush is pouring downward with great momentum. Among the braiding and knitting works, the woolen embroideries of Gao Wanyu and the woolen knitting works of Feng Qiuping and Huang Peiyan are rather outstanding. What are displayed in the bottom floor are paper-cuts, dough sculptings, illuminations, blue printed allovers, brushworks of arts and crafts, inkpads and watermark woodcarvings, etc. Built in 1905 , the architecture of the Arts and Crafts Institute was one of the excellent buildings in modern times in Shanghai (the protected cultural treasures of the municipal level). The buildings could be classified as garden residence with the French Renaissance style, which put emphasis on the horizontal lines and adopt the classical pillars, with their elevation proportion precise and symmetrical and decoration magnificent. The left and right mutual-held outside stone stair leads directly to the hall on the second floor. The decoration of many small parts such as the banister of the balcony shows the style of “new art movement”, which was the fashionable new style in Europe during the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. The compound was originally the residence of director general of Police Consulaire Francaise of the French leased territory in Shanghai. After the triumph of Anti-Japanese War, it had ever been the first official place of the UN World Health Organization in the Asia-Pacific area. In the early days after the liberation of China, the Sino-Soviet Friendship Association Shanghai Branch had been stationed here. In 1963, under the concerns of Mr. Chen Yi, the most outstanding civilian industrial artists in Shanghai was working here and teaching on their techniques in succession. At the same time, an artistic products showroom was built. In the early days of the Cultural Revolution, the Arts and Crafts Institute was driven out of the compound. And the building was occupied by Lin Liguo. In 1972, the Arts and Crafts Institute came back to its old haunt. Reagan, former president of the US, Heath, former Prime Minister of the UK, Ali, the boxing champion, and Egyptian President’s wife have ever come to visit this place. At present, the Arts and Crafts Institute has developed into a comprehensive cultural location with the functions of collection, exhibition, popularization, communication, tourism and so on. There are three exhibition halls of civilian arts and crafts, sculpture, and brocades respectively, and about ten specialized workrooms in the main building, which bring together about 50 industrial artistic professionals.
About 2.3 kilometers long, Hengshan Road was first constructed in 1922 by Police Consulaire Francaise. Its old name was Beidang Road, and was renamed “Hengshan Road” in Oct.1943. Its over 80-year history has left many outstanding historical architectures and human landscapes for Hengshan Road now. One end of the Hengshan Road connects with the bustling Xujiahui District, where gathers a large quantity of young white collars working in foreign-founded enterprises; the other end adjoins to the areas of embassies and high-class residences, where is inhabited by a large quantity of foreign working persons and the crowd with relatively higher social class. Recently, along with the increasing prosperity of Xujiahui business circle, Hengshan Road ceaselessly rediscovers its cultural and historical extract details, combining the business and tourism, and putting priority on the development of businesses such as the catering industry of different countries’ tastes and customs, leisure bars, entertainment and bodybuilding. Moreover, Hengshan Road also develops to a proper proportion the monopolization of brand customs and the works of arts and crafts etc., and develops the characteristic service, preparing to construct an all-around elegant consuming area. Now, Hengshan Road has built an atmosphere of unique individuality, enterprise culture and management characteristics, and is making great efforts to construct a leisure and characteristic street of European taste and custom of New Shanghai.
The tomb of Xu Guangqi is located in Guangqi Park on the Nandan Road of Shanghai and was ever repaired in 1957. Now, the graveyard has a granite statue of Xu Guangqi. On its east side, there is the corridor with steles, with altogether 12 carved stones of Xu Guangqi’s portrait, original handwritings and biography. Furthermore, the graveyard is enclosed by the shade of trees. Consequently, the environment is not only quiet and secluded, but also solemn and silent. Xu Guangqi was a catholic at the end of Ming Dynasty. He was an astronomer, agronomist and one of the forerunners of domestic and foreign cultural exchange. His given name was Zixian, while literary name was Yuanhu. Besides he was a Shanghainese. In the 24th year of Wanli of Ming Dynasty (1596), he got acquainted with some western missionaries in Shaozhou of Guangdong Province, and first understood the Catholic doctrine and the western science knowledge; afterward, he again read the Map of Mountains and Waters written by Ricci.P.Matteo. In the next year, he successfully passed the imperial examination at the provincial level. In the spring of the 28th year, he went to Beijing to take the imperial examinations and passed by Nanking where he visited Ricci.P.Matteo, and became very interested in the Western science knowledge. In the 31st year, he listened respectfully to the preachment of a Portugal Jesuit named Ruo Rudao in Nanking, and read the Actual Doctrine of Catholicism written by Ricci.P.Matteo. He thought that the “Catholicism” was composed of two parts: one was the essence of Catholicism and the other was the concrete implementation of it. He thought that the theory of vacancy and nonexistence of Buddhism “had been introduced into China for a long time from the east, but it didn’t change the ways of the world and public sentiments”. He also thought that if the doctrine of Catholicism was introduced and preached, it could make everyone be philanthropic so as to achieve the political object of “long period of peace and order”. Therefore, he accepted “Catholicism”, received baptism, converted himself to the religion, and chose a given name of Baolu. In the 32nd year of Wanli, Xu successfully passed the highest imperial examination held in the palace under the emperor’s supervision, and then was elected as the member of Imperial Academy. After his working hours in politics, he followed Ricci.P.Matteo, studied from him, and cooperated with him to translate the first 6 volumes of Geometry Original Manuscript. In the 35th year, Xu was in mourning for his parent, went back home to observe the prescribed period of mourning (usu. 27 mouth) for his deceased parent. One year later, he invited an Italian Jesuit Guo Jujing to Shanghai to missionize, and established a church in his house, which developed followers of Catholicism among his relatives, friends and renters. It was the beginning of introduction of Catholicism into Shanghai. During observing the prescribed period of mourning for his deceased parent, he sorted out the Criteria of Measurement with reference to Calculation Principles of Zhoubi and Nine-Chapter Mathematics, combined traditional Chinese science and Western science, and composed Similarities and Differences of Measure and Pythagorean Argumentation. Three years later, he went back to Beijing to go on his work in Imperial Academy. Just at the time when the imperial Board of Astronomy didn’t calculate the solar eclipse accurately, Xu cooperated with missionaries to research the astronomical apparatuses. He advocated the translation and study of Western astronomical theories. Because the Emperor downplayed this proposition, the issue was postponed. In the 40th year, he followed an Italian Jesuit Xiong Sanbo, and studied the Western irrigation works from him. In the first year of Emperor Congzhen (1628), Xu was again appointed as the vice-president of Board of Rites. One year later, the Board of Astronomy failed to calculate the solar eclipse accurately again. Through the authorization of Emperor, Xu Guanqi took charge of and revised the calendar. In the same year, Emperor Taiji led his ten thousands of troops to make a breakthrough of the Big Pass, and moved upon the capital city of Beijing and its environs from three directions. Emperor Congzhen summoned ministers twice, and asked for general strategies. Xu Guangqi brought forward to treat the captives differently so as to disorganize the enemies’ morale, to set up the Vehicle Battalions equipped with the firearms such as the Western cannons etc., and to adopt the tactic of defending actively and defending by war. Under the scheme of Xu Guangqi, the Portugal soldiers led by missionaries arrived in Zhuzhou with big blunderbusses, and assisted in defending. Three years later, he was promoted to the post of Minister of Rites. Xu Guangqi was an important figure in the Chinese and Western cultural exchanges at the end of Ming Dynasty. He was also a famous scientist and his works General Book on Agriculture and Politics is an epoch-making works in technology history of our country. In 1633, Xu passed away in Peking and was buried in the joining place of Fahua creek and Zhaojia creek at that time, where many of his offsprings also lived there. And so the place got the name of Xujiahui.
Song Qingling’ native place is Wen Chang County of Hainan Province. She was born on Jan.27 of 1893 in Shanghai City. In her youth, Song Qingling, following the great revolutionary pioneer Mr. Sun Yat-sen, devoted herself to the cause of democratic revolution, and married Mr. Sun Yat-sen in 1915. Having kept working for 70 years as if it were only one day, she dedicated her whole life to the causes of Chinese people’s democracy and socialisms as well as to the causes of world peace and humankind progress. Song Qingling is one of the founders of the People’s Republic of China, a great fighter of Chinese people’s communism, a long-tested pioneer of the course of world peace and an excellent party member of Communist Party of China. On May 29 of 1981, Song Qingling passed away at the age of 90 in Beijing. Former Residence of Song Qingling in Shanghai was the place of her long living and the important place of her engaging in the activities of state affairs. The main building was built at the early days of 20’s of last century. In 1948, the government of Republic of China allocated this residence to Song Qingling. In 1949, Song Qingling leaped at the invitation of Chinese Communist Party here to go up north to attend the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, where she attached herself to constituting the fundamental policies of founding the state and was elected as the Vice-Chairman of Central Government of Chinese People. At this residence she once engaged various activities of state affairs, and often interviewed and entertained honored visiting guests from all countries, which has actively promoted the domestic and foreign intercourses and maintained the international justice. Also at this residence, she made gestations and plans for the cause of the cultural welfare for women and children of New China and propagandizing publications to foreign countries, which were founded by herself. In 2001, the residence was granted as the key unit of cultural relics under state protection by State Council. Contact info. : Address: No.1843, Huaihai Middle Road Postcode: 200030 Tel: 021-64747183 Fax: 021-54654810 Website: www.shsoong-chingling.com
Guilin Park covers an area of 3.55 hectares. The park was first built in 1929 and completed in 1932 with a total amount of 3.5 million Silver Dollars. Its predecessor was the private villa of Huang Jinrong, the head of secret society of the old Shanghai. And the villa had another name as “Garden of Huang Family”. After the “August 13” Incident of 1937 occurred, the Shanghai City fell into the enemy’s hands. Some architectures of this garden were destroyed by Japanese armies, such as the Guan Yu Temple, Inner Residence and Jingguan Hut, etc. Large quantities of trees were also destroyed at that time. After the War of Resistance Against Japan was wined over, Mr. Huang once made some repairs. But on the eve of liberation, the garden was severely destroyed by the troops of Kuominta, ng again. In 1957the garden was managed and comprehensively repaired by Management Office of Gardens of Shanghai City. Because the osmanthus flower trees are planted everywhere inside the garden, the garden was named Guilin Garden (It means that the garden is full of osmanthus flower trees). In 1958, the garden was opened to the public. In 1981, the grave of Zhang family was expanded into a garden inside another bigger garden. In 1985, it was expanded eastwardly again, and opened to the public in Oct. 1988. The front door is shaped as a dragon’s head, and the dragon wall wriggles for about 83 meters on both sides of the door. 46 well-decorated windows are made on the walls like those of Liu Garden, which have shown originality. Inside the garden, the water flows under small bridges; the mountains pile up one upon another; the peaks rise one after another; the buildings and terraces set off one another; the pavilions are uneven; the meandering pathways are deep and secluded; the flowers are luxuriant and well-spaced. The style of architectures is very lucid and lively; the overall arrangement is harmonized. The rockery, pavilions, waterfalls and flowing water are well fitted with each other. The six-corner pavilion on the right side of the “Four-Teaching Pavilion” of this garden is engraved four words of “Literary, Capability, Loyalty and Trust” that Jiang Jieshi especially wrote for Mr. Huang. Its gardening art adopts the classic traditional skills of scene setting. The overall arrangement is delicate and unconventional; the dragon wall wriggles inside; the walls of flowers are zigzagging; the water flows under small bridges; the mountains pile up one upon another; the peaks rise one after another; the buildings and terraces set off one another; the pavilions are uneven; the meandering pathways are deep and secluded; the flowers and trees are luxuriant and thriving; the overall arrangement is harmonized; the style of architectures is very lucid and lively. A uniform group of artistic architectures is composed of the architectures such as Haha Pavilion, Lingyun Pavilion, Songyue Pavilion, Yi Pavilion, Eight-Immortal Pavilion, Kwan-yin Pavilion, Four-Teaching Pavilion, Guest Pavilion, Osmanthus Pavilion, Feixiang Pavilion, Long Zigzagging Corridor, Banruo Boat, “Double rainbows lying upon the water waves”, arch bridges, etc. and the scenes of craggy grotesque rocks, clear ponds, small rooms, green pines and verdant cypresses. There are more than 1,000 osmanthus plants of 23 species all over the garden, such as the golden osmanthus, silver osmanthus, orange osmanthus, four-season osmanthus, and rock mountain osmanthus, etc. Whenever on the Mid-Autumn Festival, the flowers of osmanthus come to bloom and the fragrant flavor waves all over the garden, gladdening the heart and refreshing the mind. What have been set up inside this garden are the tearooms, dining rooms and shops. The appearance of this garden is very neat, the environment is elegant, and the scenes are delightful.